After repeated calls for Thanksgiving on the Barbican, a few locals have banded together to make it happen!
A small committee are working with local businesses and organisations to raise awareness of ‘Happy Thanksgiving’ including the history, offers and events linked to the Pilgrim story.
- Pick up a Thanksgiving leaflet from the Tourist Information Centre or via the www.barbicanwaterfront.com website highlighting points of interest and details of some of the offerings and themed events.
- The Mayflower Tour – Free 1 hour guided tour with a Blue Badge Tour Guide Jane Dymock. Join Jane at 10.30am outside the Mayflower Steps and step back in time for the tour like no other. Free to attend.
- Mayflower Museum – Children go free when accompanied by a paying adult.
- illuminate Light Festival – Starting on 28th Nov for 4 days. 5 light inspired installations on the Barbican & Sutton Harbour
Sutton Harbour – by Quay Square by Cap’n Jaspers will be hosting special guests! The Plymouth High Schools Marching Band comes to you from “America’s Hometown” Plymouth, Massachusetts USA. They will be playing at 11.30am.
BARBICAN & SUTTON HARBOUR TRADERS OFFERS
- Admiral Macbride (across the road from the Mayflower Steps Monument. It’s rumoured the original steps are roughly located, underneath the present day ladies toilets)
- Fishermen’s Arms (Thanksgiving meal – book in advance 01752 268243)
- Barbican Coco Rooms (Southside Street) – Chocolates themed around Mayflower
- Domea Favour (House That Jack Built) – Chocolate Bars themed around Mayflower
- Plymouth Gin Refectory Bar (Southside Street) – Raise a glass to where the pilgrims last slept before boarding the Mayflower Ship.
- Plymouth Gin Distillery Shop (Southside Street) – Plymouth’s world famous Gin, the Mayflower Ship features on the bottles.
- Kaya Gallery (Southside Street) – Mayflower themed artwork
- The Lookout (At Mountbatten Watersports and Activities Centre) – Roasted pumpkin and chilli soup
- Barbican Botanics (New Street) – Traditional Gin, American themed
- Coffee & Donuts (Quay Square) – American style donuts, 5 for £3.50 or 10 for £6
- Rockpool Trading (Southside Street) – Themed gift ideas around Mayflower
- Honkytonk Wine Library (Sutton Harbour) American themed wine & ale offerings
. The Velvet Devil – Merlot 2016
. Washington State / Boom Boom – Syrah 2016
. Washington State / Kung Fu Girl – Riesling 2017
. Goose IPA – bright citrus aromas and bold hop finish /
. Goose 312 – urban wheat ale – light lemon aroma
ABOUT THANKSGIVING UK / USA LINKS
The Plymouth Barbican has strong ties with America. The famous Mayflower ship in 1620 set sail with 102 passengers and 30 crew members for America. These pilgrims settled on what is know as Plymouth, Massachusetts. You can read more about this remarkable journey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower.
In America, the modern Thanksgiving holiday tradition traces its origins to a 1621 celebration at Plymouth in present-day Massachusetts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving